What’s your favourite Holiday decoration?

Did you know that holiday fires are mostly caused by decorations catching fire?

Read here some tips on how to have a fire-proof holiday season!

It’s a tradition for many households to put up holiday decorations weeks – even months – before the actual celebration. But those live Christmas trees and lovely wreaths cold pose a higher than normal fire risk. Holiday season fires are actually more common than you’d imagine.

To help you prepare for and enjoy your holidays in a safe and enjoyable way this year, here are some safety tips to remember.

  • Remember to keep your Christmas trees and other holiday decorations at least 3 feet away from light and heat sources to avoid catching fire. And don’t forget to unplug all your Christmas lights (and other types of lights) before you sleep or when you leave your home.
  • Keep your live Christmas tree watered and away from  open flames. These trees can easily catch fire within seconds. If you don’t water them, they will go up in flames quickly.
  • Another area of concern: candles. You might think it’s common sense,  but a lot of people forget candles burning. Candle fires are four times as likely to happen during the holiday season. So when it’s time to  deck the halls, it’s critical to choose your decorations wisely. Focus on safety and practicality.
  • Inspect your Christmas lights and other electrical decorations for frayed wires, loose or cracked bulbs. If you see any of these faulty bulbs or wires, replace the whole strand.
  • Do not connect more than one extension cord because it can cause overheating. Make sure your cords are not getting stretched or tangled. Aside from fires, they can also cause other accidents like tripping.
  • Remember to have your chimney cleaned.
  • Keep children at least three feet away from the fireplace. Kids like to play around and they might end up with burns if they’re too near the fireplace.
  • Put glass and other breakable ornaments on the highest branches of the tree to keep them out of reach of children and pets.
  • Be aware of overloading your circuits. Keep all the wires hidden and away from kids and small pets because they will chew on them.
  • Most importantly, make sure your fire alarm is working 100%. If a fire breaks out, having a working smoke detector increases your chance of survival.

 

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn